Of the 195 countries in the world, the very vast majority have legislated to protect maternity, some already in the late 19th Century, some as recently as only a few years ago. Still today, a very few countries have no specific laws protecting women who both work and give birth to their children.
In this present document IBFAN-GIFA has summarized the ILO data on maternity protection region by region and country by country. The reader will quickly note that ours is a “working document” – it is not a “reading document”. Moreover, it is a collection of information based on information that has already, itself, been collected and to a certain degree interpreted.
Compiled by Elaine Petitat-Côté, November 2014
- Legislation on maternity protection in African countries
- Legislation on maternity protection in American countries
- Legislation on maternity protection in the Arab World
- Legislation on maternity protection in European countries
- Legislation on maternity protection on Asian countries
- Table of the key national provisions on maternity protection in ILO-member countries worldwide